10/05/2011

Headed to Philly!

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind!   After lots of research we decided that we absolutely want Dr. Sato at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia to guide my treatment.  Ocular melanoma is a very rare type of cancer and we have learned that few doctors know how to treat it .  Thankfully, Dr. Sato has dedicated his life to finding new OM treatments and he is the leading physician in this field.  I have my first appointment with him this Monday, October 10th!  I am so excited to get the ball rolling!  Even though I have not met with him yet, I have been talking to his team daily I am 100% confident in them.  They are awesome folks to work with!

After reviewing my scans and history Dr. Sato decided they will treat me with immunoembolization.  I am scheduled for this procedure on October 11th.  I will be sedated, but awake, and somebody will be able to stay with me the whole time (I'll let Billy, Mom and Dad fight over this)! An interventional radiologist performs the procedure and he will go up my femoral artery and inject a drug into my liver.  This drug will boost my immune system and my body will build immunity to fight the cancer cells.  I'll spend the night in the hospital Tuesday night and hopefully get released Wednesday morning.

Philadelphia is an 11.5 hour drive from Charleston but the trips will be worth it.  As you know, we love to travel so we are going to make the most of our trips by planning fun things to do and delicious restaurants to try.  Any suggestions are welcome!  I hear the shopping up there isn't bad either...I already found an H&M within a few blocks of the hospital :)

We will update you again after my appointment on Monday!

Love, Kenan

2 comments:

  1. obviously u have to eat a philly cheesesteak...there are two famous ones...Geno's and Pat's...that are next to each other...but all philadelphians that I have met say go to Jim's Steaks...on corner of 4th and South....but know what you want b4 you get there...coz the servers will PWN you coz they don't put up with slow BS order takers....also...you HAVE to run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art like Rocky Balboa....

    Best,
    Curt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenan,
    I'm Vicki Poole HR manager with SupplyOne in Rockwell, NC and your dad helps me alot with issues at work when I can't resolve them. Just want to send you a line and let you know you've been in my thoughts and prayers. You seem to have alot of your dad's attitude and spirit. You will win this battle, because God has control of this evil disease. Everyone at work is praying and wishing you a speedy recovery. May God Bless you and your sweet family.

    Best Wishes,
    Vicki Poole

    ReplyDelete